Saturday, May 7, 2011

Rage on the Movies: Thor

When the warrior Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard for his arrogance, he is sent to Earth to live among humans. Falling in love with scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), he learns some much-needed lessons, and his newfound strength comes into play as a villain from his homeland sends dark forces toward Earth.


I really didn’t expect much from this movie. Frankly, I thought the superhero genre in the movies was fading after Iron Man II. But I must say this movie was a pleasant surprise. I am not much of a Marvel Comics Fan, so I knew little about Thor, which I think was an advantage. I watched the movie, learning as it played. It was full of adventure, special effects and humor. Chris Harmsworth did an excellent job bringing the Nordic god to life. The character’s arrogance was overpowering. So the audience loved it when Thor was taken down a notch or two by normal humans with their puny little gadgets. I never warmed up to Natalie Portman’s character. Jane Foster is one of those women that can give you a headache. She is so driven, to the point of stupid. Kate Dennings as Darcy Lewis was the real gem of the picture. Additionally, Tom Heddleston as Loki gave a sparkling performance. We see his transformation better than we see Thor’s transformation. The action was exciting, grand and worth watching in 3D. The storyline was good, but had dry spots.

For a superhero movie, I give it 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. If you do not see your comment posted within 24 hours, please contact me at malcolm@ragebooks.net